19 January 2011

College is Worthless


This sounds about right: "Many college students not learning to think critically:"
Many of the students graduated without knowing how to sift fact from opinion, make a clear written argument or objectively review conflicting reports of a situation or event, according to New York University sociologist Richard Arum, lead author of the study. The students, for example, couldn't determine the cause of an increase in neighborhood crime or how best to respond without being swayed by emotional testimony and political spin.

Frankly, this isn’t much of surprise.  In fact, this sounds like an accurate description of my fellow students.  I already view my time in college as a general waste of time.  Of the forty or so classes I’ve taken, there are only four or so that I thought challenged me and helped me become a better thinker.

Furthermore, most of my intellectual development of the last five years (from when I first attended public school until today) has been the result of reading books and blogs.  I read an average of three books a week, and read close to sixty blog posts a day.

I also make a point of talking to people who know considerably more than me.  I know it’s generally fun to hang out with friends and talk about the interesting nothings that pass as conversation, but it is far beneficial to talk to people who can actually teach you something.  It’s how I learned to build computers, repair cars, cook, bake, paint, and do repair work, and it’s pretty handy stuff to know.

Thus, for those of you contemplating college, the best way to view your decision is to think of it as an investment in credentials.  Ask yourself, will the cost of my credentials be worth the increase in income I can expect to receive?  Your answer to this question will determine whether you should go to college.  And remember, if you are actually interested in learning something, get a library card and a laptop, and make a point of spending time with people who can teach you things.  It’s far cheaper and far more effective.

4 comments:

  1. I just made a similar point on another blog. As you mentioned the real purpose of college is to certify IQ through admission and good personality traits by showing that a young person will sit through classes and do the work for four year (diligence) and maybe by joining a few clubs (social).

    Unless you're a STEM major, the time spent in school is mostly a waste, except that you get the certification at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would add that most certification is also a waste. Seriously, who wants to hire a "Womyn's studies" major?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i went to collij it wuz reely fun i lern a lot so fuk yoo say that collij is bad-its goog good good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to channel great books for men, anonymous. lolzzllolzlzlll.

    ReplyDelete