29 January 2011

There’s No Compromise Here


Her books provided wide-ranging parables of "parasites," "looters" and "moochers" using the levers of government to steal the fruits of her heroes' labor. In the real world, however, Rand herself received Social Security payments and Medicare benefits under the name of Ann O'Connor (her husband was Frank O'Connor). (HT: Yves Smith)

A small disclaimer is in order:  I hate Ayn Rand’s writing and general philosophy.  I read Anthem, which I thought was decent enough on its own, though I didn’t particularly care for the style of writing.  I tried to read The Fountainhead, but it was just so boring and long-winded that I gave up on it after the first chapter.

I know all libertarians are supposed to gush over her writing and talk about how important it was to their intellectual development.  I can’t do it.  Her writing is bland and boring, and intellectually insulting.  Yes, it’s insulting to have such obvious metaphors throughout the book.  I’m smart enough to figure this stuff out; I don’t need you to spell it out.

Plus, objectivism is nonsense.  Sure, reality exists outside of sensory perception, but perceiving reality is inherently subjective.  There is no way to make it objective.  But I digress.

Anyway, I simply wanted to point out that Ayn Rand is a hypocrite who sold her principles for a few dollars.  There are no ifs, ands or buts about it.

3 comments:

  1. Anarchists who denounce the state often grab payouts and claim that they are contributing to the downfall of the system by leeching off of it.

    To that pose, I respond that it is difficult to criticize a cow while one's lips are attached to the udder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice comeback. I'm going to have to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the saying goes: "No matter how much you cheat on your taxes, you'll never break even". I see it as a means of doing one's best to break even. The real moochers are the ones who collect checks that have never put anything in. Either way, I despise the whole tax and welfare system.

    ReplyDelete