23 September 2011

Alpha Music

The other day, my youngest brother asked me if there was any music that was particularly alpha.  More specifically, he wondered if it was possible to use music as a way of peacocking.  I didn’t have a particularly satisfying answer at the time, but after giving it some thought I think I have an answer.

In one sense, some genres and artists can be considered more alpha than others, at least in terms of lyrics and mood.  Metal tends to be highly alpha, lyrically, and rap tends to be highly alpha in terms of mood.  And even within certain genres (say, post-hardcore), some artists are more alpha than others.  Obviously, then, one can listen to alpha music and possibly demonstrate his alphaness in that manner, although I don’t know if girls who hear a guy blasting Ludacris automatically think that guy is going to be good genetic material.

In another sense, though, alphaness is demonstrated in how one reacts to music.  In this case, the specific music being listened to is irrelevant because what matters is how the guy in question acts towards music.

The most beta reaction to music would be to simply listen passively and talk about how awesome one’s favorite artists are.  Devoted fandom seems to be very beta because one doesn’t contribute to the music scene, and one readily cedes to being the artists inferior.  In essence, male fans that listen passively act as weak wing men.

A more alpha way of reacting to music would be obsessing over an artist and becoming an authority on said artist.  Knowing as much about an artist as the artist itself, though slightly creepy, is impressive because it enables one to demonstrate higher value by being an expert.

Music criticism is another way to show alphaness in relation to music.  In this case, you have to operate from the mindset that you are superior to the artist, and that he has to impress you.  I’ve found that telling girls I meet at concerts that I’m a music critic is a good way to spark interest and occasionally get some phone numbers.

Ultimately, though, the ultimate alpha way of reacting to music is to learn guitar and start writing songs that you perform in front of a crowd of fans.  In this case, it doesn’t matter at all what you sing about or how you look.  Simply performing in front of a crowd of fans is often all it takes to spark a girl’s interest.  Thus, my advice to my brother is to learn how to play rock songs on guitar.  That should ensure that he gets plenty of girls’ attention.

4 comments:

  1. "Ultimately, though, the ultimate alpha way of reacting to music is to learn guitar and start writing songs that you perform in front of a crowd of fans. In this case, it doesn’t matter at all what you sing about or how you look. Simply performing in front of a crowd of fans is often all it takes to spark a girl’s interest. Thus, my advice to my brother is to learn how to play rock songs on guitar. That should ensure that he gets plenty of girls’ attention."

    Agree 100% - doesn't even have to be "rock." I was big into metal during high school. Very "alpha" stuff like Pantera. Didn't generate any female interest as far as I could tell.

    A couple of years later I learned a large chunk of James Taylor's catalog. Music that is "beta" to the core. Regardless, the fact that I could play and sing those songs relatively well... now *that* generated a lot of female interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make music. I don't give a fuck about genre, critics, fans. I make what I want to hear. People like that, even if they don't like the music.

    What the music sounds like doesn't have much to do with whether it's "alpha." It's about why you're making it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lane- I've noticed that girls tend to be into very beta bands. I attended a Panic! at the Disco concert earlier this year and the crowd was about 65% female (which made for an excellent evening). Panic's lyrics and sound tend to be pretty beta, yet they have tons of female fans. Metal bands tend to have a more male-oriented audience. I'm not sure why this is the case.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @lifescansdarkly- I get that artists don't start making music because they think "oh hey, playing these specific chords and singing about these specific topics/themes will get me girls." Still, you can't deny that making music drives the girls crazy, and is thus alpha.

    ReplyDelete