26 January 2012

The Religion of Environmentalism

I finally got around the reading February’s Popular Science, and I’m now pretty glad I cancelled my subscription last month (making this the last month I get PopSci).  In February’s edition, there’s an article by Seth Fletcher titled “Did Global Warming Destroy My Hometown?

I did not read the whole thing, as I wanted to ensure that lunch stayed down in my stomach where it belonged, and also because my patience for reading this sort of navel-gazing drivel is minimal, to say the least.  But I did read the last several paragraphs, since that is where the meat of the story is concentrated.  To be honest, the story reminds more of the Bible than anything else.

More specifically, this story reminds me of Job.  Job, after facing much suffering, decides to call on God, whom he has not seen, and question why bad things happened to him. Seth Fletcher’s article feels the same:  just a poor guy going through a rough time, questioning an abstract entity about why bad things happened to him.   To state it another way, Seth Fletcher is like Job in that both are religious men questioning their deities.

It’s scary how much environmentalism resembles religion.  Its adherents feel compelled to evangelize, do penance, adhere to rigid arbitrary rules, and place their faith in an unseen abstract entity.  Really, environmentalism doesn’t just resemble religion; it is one.  It even has its own Job.

6 comments:

  1. @Prof. Hale- which brings up an interesting point: can environmentalists burn heretics who deny global warming? Because you have to think that would send a mixed message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If they use ovens, they can reclaim the heat for electricity and hot water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But aren't they still going to use fossil fuels? (They're certainly going to create some, amirite?) And isn't that going to contribute to global warming? Seems a bit hypocritical is all I'm saying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Wil S.- Not a problem. I like your blog, by the way.

    ReplyDelete