11 February 2012

A Brief Respite

From my normal cynicism, misanthropy, and pessimism.  Here’s why:

But just two years after winning her “wings,” the 21-year-old brunette has retired her lingerie, as she revealed the entire time she was struggling inside to reconcile her revealing career with her Christian faith.
“Victoria’s Secret was my absolutely biggest goal in life, and it was all I ever wanted career-wise,” Bisutti is quoted as saying by IBT. “But the more I was modeling lingerie, and lingerie isn’t clothing, I just started becoming more uncomfortable with it because of my faith. I’m Christian, and reading the Bible more, I was becoming more conflicted about it.”
Kylie, who married shortly before she won the model search in 2009, also admits her role as a wife and someone that was looked up to in her church body played a large part in her choice to quit.
“My body should only be for my husband and it’s just a sacred thing,” she said. “I didn’t really want to be that kind of role model for younger girls because I had a lot of younger Christian girls that were looking up to me and then thinking that it was okay for them to walk around and show their bodies in lingerie to guys.”

I can’t think of much more to say about this, other than it’s refreshing to see a Christian woman take her faith seriously, to the point where she’ll turn down a sizeable amount of income to live in accordance with God’s word.*  It’s also nice to see a woman show this sort of concern about her relationship with her husband, and how her career would impact that.  You know what?  It’s just nice to see that somewhere in America, there’s an attractive Christian wife who is thoughtful, considerate, and actually concerned about what God says.
* Cf. I Tim. 2:9-10; Titus 2:3-5; I Pet. 3:1-4; Phil. 2:12; and II Tim. 2:15.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't been following this issue so I don't know whether or not she's been getting flack for her decision. I suspect she is.

    This is a bright spot, and you said it well Simon. She is putting her dignity, her husband, and her marriage before her career. If only other less fabulously attractive women could do the same. The choice is before us every day, every hour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Cranberry- I will say that the media have not been as vitriolic and oppositional as I expected. I haven't checked out any feminist sites, so I have no idea what they're saying. Also, I can't say that I'm overly concerned about what they're saying. At any rate, my hope is that others will follow her example.

    ReplyDelete