14 February 2012

The Chris Brown Scandal

Some people are apparently upset that Chris Brown performed at the Grammys:

I’m sick and tired of people acting like it’s no big deal that Chris Brown will be performing at the Grammys.
I’m frustrated that the mainstream media is covering this story like it’s any comeback story, like an exiled prince’s return to a former glory, like this is another political timeline — as though some rich and powerful old white men in the music business have not just issued an enormous ‘f**k you’ to every woman who has been, is or will be on the receiving end of domestic violence.
We should be furious.
Why aren’t we?

Well, I can’t answer for everyone, but there are two reasons why I’m not upset about this.  First off, Rihanna is back with Chris Brown.  If she’s forgiven him for his domestic violence why shouldn’t I?

Second, the Grammys are about music, not supporting the victims of domestic abuse.  While I’m not a fan of Chris Brown’s “music,” I can’t say that it’s all that problematic that a music artist (a phrase used loosely in this context) was invited to participate in an awards show in which he was nominated for an award.  He was being awarded for his music, not his relationship skills.

Also, the most relevant question to ask is why Rihanna wasn’t furious about Chris Brown’s invite.  After all, she was expected to be in the same venue with him.  And, again, if she’s not upset about this, why should I be?

No comments:

Post a Comment