14 March 2012

The End of Rush?

This doesn’t bode well for conservatism’s largest presence:

The advertiser exodus from Rush Limbaugh's Impotent Rage Hour radio program hasn't waned during the days following his anti-Sandra Fluke screed. In fact, it's only picked up steam. The latest to jump ship has been Premiere Networks, the company that syndicates the show. So, how many advertisers have left?
According to ThinkProgress, the number is now a staggering 141, including Rite Aid, Honda, Sam Adams, Advil, Johnson & Johnson, Kohl's, Lifetime, Macy's, McDonalds, Chapstick, The Home Depot, NBC-TV, U.S. Army, Preparation H, Walgreens, Hallmark, Radio Shack, and Yahoo!. While it's a surprise that Lifetime advertised on Limbaugh's program in the first place (or maybe they know something about the secret fondness Rush Limbaugh fans have for movies about women who lose their marbles and kill their husbands or pregnant teenage runaways and their mothers who will not stop until they solve the mystery of why), the full list is pretty humbling.
But perhaps most humbling of all is the most recent move by the company that syndicates the damn program. The Wrap reports that Premiere Networks, a subsidiary of Clear Channel (which itself is a subsidiary of Hell), has suspended its use of the so-called "barter spots" granted the company as part of the syndication deal. The Premiere Networks silence will extend for the next two weeks, presumably to the point where everyone re-forgets what a dick Rush is, so that we can all be shocked and outraged anew when he starts speculating on the menarche status of the Obama daughters in some big roundabout anti-college tax credit tirade.

As a homeschooled child of conservative parents, I pretty much grew up listening to Rush Limbaugh every afternoon while doing schoolwork.  I remember that he was fairly consistent during the late 90’s and 00’s, at least in terms of political philosophy.  I also remember thinking, around the time of Bush’s reelection, that Rush was starting to shift from a principled conservative (an oxymoron if there ever was one) to an establishment talking head.  To me, it seemed like he had been bought out by the GOP.

During the 2008 election campaign, I remember him shilling for McCain as being much better than Obama.  There was no way McCain could be considered conservative, ad so hearing Rush endorse him more or less confirmed what I suspected:  Rush Limbaugh was now a full-blown party hack.  I haven’t listened to him since.

At any rate, I suspect that the sudden loss of sponsors will mark the beginning of the end for him.  I can’t say I’m sad to see him go, as I no longer need a blowhard party shill trying to tell me what to think.  The only thing disappointing about his presumable exit is that it comes as a result of him capitulating to feminists.

2 comments:

  1. My uncle, who follows politics more than I do now (wasn't always the case, but I got DISGUSTED with what's going on) said that McCain's platform only had three or four minor differences between Obama's platform. IOW, there wasn't any substantive, meaningful DIFFERENCE between the two men. I sat out the election, because I didn't think I had a real choice. Why waste my time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @MarkyMark- That's pretty much how I feel, and is why I haven't ever voted. There's no real choice, and it feels insulting to pretend otherwise.

    ReplyDelete