17 March 2011

On a Comeback


Internet Explorer 9, which was released Monday, was downloaded 2.35 million times in the first 24 hours it was available, according to Microsoft. The beta version of this iteration of the browser was downloaded only 1 million times during the first day of its availability.
For the final version of IE 9, that’s almost 98,000 downloads per hour, or 27 downloads per second, however you want to look at it.

I’m not entirely sure what to make of this.  On the one hand, Microsoft seems to be in a decent place, considering how sucky IE6 and IE7 were.  On the other hand, they should never have been in such a bad place to begin with.

I beta tested IE9 since the day it came out, and remain impressed with all the updates, tweaks, and modifications.  However, I abhor the favorites menu.  I do a lot of bookmarking, so this is a sticking point for me.  I like Chrome’s bookmark setup, as well as Firefox’s.  Unfortunately, Firefox has been crashing a lot lately, so I might make the switch from Firefox to IE9.  I won’t be giving up Opera or Chrome, though.

The big takeaway from this whole situation, at least to me, is that competition is a wonderful thing.  If Microsoft was able to prevent people from using other browser software, there is no way IE9 would be as good as it is, for there would not have been any reason for Microsoft to improve it.

3 comments:

  1. We are still using IE 7 at work because it is certified as safe.

    It makes this site particularly difficult to read. Your all black math background shows through the text boxes so all of your black text is washed out and invisible. I have to select it to make it blue to even read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to hear that. I've checked it in IE9, and it looks alright there, but I've never checked it earlier incarnations. I'm not going to do a redesign, though, because the vast majority of my readers use something other than IE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem. I don't expect everyone to keep up with the archaic architecture my work uses. I looks just fine at home. I have the same trouble reading my own blog.

    ReplyDelete